About UsPrint this page
On April 24, 1914 a group of citizens met in the council chambers located in the old grist mill office for the purpose of organizing a volunteer fire company. Mr H. T. High presided at this meeting and the following officers were nominated and elected: President- Ray Cook, Vice President- Thomas Lengle, Recording Secretary- Ray Callahan, Financial Secretary- Harry High, Treasurer- O. S. Kelsey, Foreman- Al Curvin, First Assistant Foreman- Mac MacGregor, Second Assistant Foreman- George Stover, and Fire Chief- H. T. High.
On July 13, 1914 the company purchased the uniforms of the old Good Will Hose Company of Lock Haven.
Thirty-two members turned out in uniform for the first inspection and Mr. Tom Reed, the Chief Burgess, complimented the company on the large turn out.
The company used a two wheel hose cart for their fire drills. The first truck was bought from Hollidaysburg in 1915 and was housed in the new borough building on Huston Street. The second truck was a Thomas Flyer purchased from Cal Armstrong and converted into a fire truck. A Ford truck was purchased in 1921 and in 1926 a Dodge truck was secured. These trucks were only used to carry the hose to a fire, as only plug pressure was used.
The company was reorganized in 1938 and a pumper was purchased from the Hand-in-Hand Hose Company of Lock Haven. This was in service until August of 1994 when a new Mack 500 gallon pumper was purchased.
In 1942 a panel truck was donated to the company by H. H. Martin. The members converted this truck into an ambulance and an Ambulance Association was started for the people of Flemington and surrounding communities. The ambulance first went into service in August 1942. In December of 1942 a Studebaker Hearse was purchased and was changed into an ambulance.
In 1948 a new ambulance was purchased and the members began to thinking a larger building was needed. Two lots were purchased on High Street near the top of the hill. This did not seem suitable for our needs and in April, 1949 the Stewart property on High street between Huston and Canal Street. A house and a store building were on these lots and these buildings were used for fund raising projects until 1953.
In October of 1953, a Cadillac ambulance was purchased and the plans were approved for a new firehouse. Ground was broken in May of 1954 for the footer which was poured in June of 1954. The blocks were laid and the new building began to take shape. The first piece of apparatus was placed in the new building in permanently in April of 1955.
A celebration took place in October of 1958 when the mortgage was paid in full. The mortgage was burned in a ceremony at this celebration.
Keeping in stride with the Clinton County mutual aid program, the company with the aid of Borough Council, purchased a monitor for the fire hall, a two way radio for the ambulance, and a walkie-talkie for the fire truck.
A walk-in panel truck was purchased in February of 1960 and converted into an equipment truck. This helped relieve the burden placed on the fire truck in carrying the equipment to the fire and also we had the equipment at the fire when the pumper was at the plug which was some distance away at times.
Some of the equipment purchased over the years for the protection and saving of life and property were purchased with the help of the Borough, fund raising projects, and by donations from the people of the Borough. These included a 350 gallon portable pump, a portable light plant, three Scott air-paks, an inilator and resuscitator.
Today, we currently operate a 1995 KME Engine/Tanker, a 1993 F-350 brush truck, a 1975 Car-Mar Utility vehicle, and a 1967 FWD Engine.